Sunday, September 14, 2014

my Story.... and Some Back Story...

My sister is a writer and she loves back story. Her instructors? Not so much. But I get back story, it is hard to tell a story from the middle. So I am going to give you a brief back story.

This all began 6 years ago when my son was diagnosed with ADD. I was one of "those" people, completely ignorant and judgemental when it came to ADD. I believed all the myths about ADD, diet will fix it, it's from lazy parenting - just discipline more, he is just a busy boy,,,

Fast forward to about 6 months ago.

We finally were able to get into the BC Interior ADHD Clinic and attend the 6 weeks ADHD parent class. What we learnt there blew my mind. So much of my son's struggles were explained and finally understood. We had access to some psychiatric counselling sessions and a medication review.

All through this lovely, educational journey, my husband is nudging me and laughing at me because he thinks they are describing me. My response was to tell him to quit being such a jerk, LOL. My eyes were opened to my own lifetime of struggles, looking for ways to cope, to feel less awkward, to keep it all together, to keep all those balls in the air, to find ways to relax. For me this "frantic" anxious feeling was normal... apparently it is not. LOL 

Which bring us to today, exactly 4 days since my own diagnosis of Adult ADD and starting medication. The idea of starting a blog came from hours of trying to find some kind of local support group about adults living with ADD - none in my area.. tried online groups, no luck.  What I did find was lots of negative posts about living with ADD, you would be amazed how hard it is to find positive sites/groups for Adult ADD and ADD in kids.

So, what's next? I have no idea, LOL. Just gonna keep blogging and see where this takes me.

Stay tuned,, I know I will try to... LOL





 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Cynthia thanks for sharing, I am sure this will be a great outlet to share your journey with ADD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol....just the right amount of back story (30% according to one of my instructors). Great post. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete